Sunday, March 23, 2008

March break fun!

I love my kids. But..... I can't wait for March break to end. If I see another episode of Storm Hawks or Mulan I think i will freak out.

I am typing this on Marianna's new laptop - Dell Inspiron 1525

Can you believe it was only $648 including tax and shipping!! I remember buying a hard drive in 1998 that was only 9 gigs and I paid $1500. Based on Moore's Law I should be able to get a super editing computer that will encode 2 hours of video in 15 minutes by 2009.

Moore's Law describes an important trend in the history of computer hardware: that the number of transistors that can be inexpensively placed on an integrated circuit is increasing exponentially, doubling approximately every two years.[1] The observation was first made by Intel co-founder Gordon E. Moore in a 1965 paper.[2][3][4] The trend has continued for more than half a century and is not expected to stop for another decade at least and perhaps much longer.[5]

Almost every measure of the capabilities of digital electronic devices is linked to Moore's Law: processing speed, memory capacity, even the resolution of digital cameras. All of these are improving at (roughly) exponential rates as well. This has dramatically increased the usefulness of digital electronics in nearly every segment of the world economy.[6] Moore's Law describes this driving force of technological and social change in the late 20th and early 21st centuries.

No comments: