Thursday, January 18, 2007

Good ole days/

Wow,

This morning I found out that with the booking last night we have nearly closed off sept 2007.

I have increase the turn away number by 2. Marianna had to send (refer) 2 nice couples that spent time at our studio, loved everything but waiting too long. See the thing is this. I understand how making such an important decision as who will be your wedding photographer cannot be a rash, spur of the moment decision. But in life you sometimes have to go with your gut.

Heres a true story.

A couple of years ago we had just spent 3 year building a house with the most difficult scam artist contractor in the world. In fact, in the end he ended up; taking off with our money and not finishing the job. That's not the story. The market was just starting to pick up, interest rates were low and our real estate agent told us here was an incredible deal that we just couldnt pass up. A 4200 square foot house in an great neighbourhood. Marianna and I had been married for only 4 years at the time and buying that house ment a mortgage of over $400,000.

So what did we do?

We bought it!!! And when I sold the house only 30 months after I had a profit of over $200,000. I guess you could say we were lucky right? Marianna would disagree.

Before buying the house she had the real estate agent send her the previous 6 months of house sae for the street and the area. She hired an inspector, our lawyer did a check on issues with the city. We spoke to 4 mortgage brokers and dozens of real estate agents regarding the market and where it was likely to go. In fact, when all was said an done the real estate agents were both forced to reduce their commisions by a total of $10,000.

So I cant say it was spur of the moment. Now you guys are likely. You can visit hunreds of sites, most of you go to one or 2 weddings a year and you can visit many studios. You can create a list of questions etc.

But remember this. Please do not purchase you wedding photography on price alone. There are more expensive people for a reason.


They are better!


You know I had plan to write about something that I used to do whenever a couple booked with me. I use to write. Free 16x20 first baby portrait for each refferal that books. Each year I would get 2-3 couples in the studio and I'd shoot their screaming babies and have a great old time. But, for some reason I stopped writing in. Well its back - and for all of you who booked with me where I did not, just email me and I will email a confirmation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jean!

I'm glad you wrote that on our contract (free baby portrait) cause that was the best part about booking with you! What a sweet thing to bring into your wedding preparations; the thought of one day bringing in your screaming baby and leaving him or her with Jean for a photoshoot!

Can't wait!!

Lily & Stefan