Thursday, August 16, 2007

I love to play my Tuba


Lately I've been dreaming about playing my Tuba. Seriously. It seems that during the summer months as I spend a large portion of my day being creative, I long for days of music. Even yesterday as I spoke to a fantastic bride (she reads this blog) who was picking up her engagement portrait, I couldnt help but remember the good ole days of making music.

Music is a lot like photography. I mean you have to be technically proficient in your craft but the fundamentals are the same.

Music.

The event is the performance. Yet if you don't practice you are not likely to have a successful performance. You need hit every single note with confidence while understanding the nuances of pitch control, volume and intensity.

Photography

The event is the moment of capture. Yet if you don't understand the event you are not likely to have a successful photograph. You need to expose the image perfectly, not too much light and not too dark, at the same time understanding the nuances of exposure, depth of field and colour balance.

So who knew that while I was training to be a musician I was actually learning to master photography?

No comments: